After about four hours of tension issues (which I powered through), I consulted the interwebs. Although the suggestions contained thereupon were helpful, they did not solve the issues. As a last resort (typical), I read the manual this morning.
Wow, what a difference some cleaning and light oiling make! I did make the cardinal mistake of combining thread types, buuuuuuut I made no effort to change my bobbin thread. It all worked out in the end.
Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, the Macaroni Prototype!! Huzzah!
You can clearly see my top thread tension issues, as well as the fact that I made the front out of two pieces rather than one (oops!). Laur is also a fan of the wildlife armpit theme - I had to resort to fabric store ends, as I did not have enough fleece on hand to complete my project. The only thing left is the collar, finishing the wrist and waist seams. I am going to skip these steps, though. If I run into trouble on the real deal, I'll go back to the prototype for experimentation.
Things I learned:
-the arms are a great width, but could be shortened 2.5" each
-make front and back each out of one complete piece
-tension issues will drive your bananas up the wall
-pay attention to your pattern and cut your fabric in a straight line
The online forum stated that this pattern was for a 5'8-6'0 person, taller and presumably slimmer than I currently am (I'm hoping to get taller). It should be easy to allow for this adjustment.
Other than that, I'm quite happy with the MP.
Yesterday we took a trip into the "City of Trees" and visited a few non-valley stores. One of which was Princess Auto, at which I purchased a canvas tarp. I hope to make this large piece of brown 18oz duck into an outer, windblocking layer. Although there is a different pattern for the canvas, I'm also excited to take on that project as well.
Stay tuned for the Real Woolie Deal in a couple of weeks.