2013/04/17

Congratulations New Zealand!

The Kiwis have joined the rest of the progressive western nations by acknowledging same-sex marriage (although same-sex unions have been legally recognized since 2005) .  Take a look at what happened in Parliament when the results of the Third Reading vote were tabled. (Of course you already know what happened!)


But before we get to the results, check out a speech delivered by Maurice Williamson, right before the vote. 



The results of the vote, delivered by the Assistant Speaker of the House.


The spectators broke into song - Pokarekare Ana - a Maori love song and the Members stood.  Everyone, except that wee stick-in-the-mud lower left, who has never known love (sarcasm).

Of course I totally bawled when people started singing.

Congratulations to NZ and Louisa Wall, the tabling member.


Pokarekare Ana
The waves are breaking, against the shores of Waiapu,
My heart is aching, for your return my love.

Oh my beloved, come back to me, my heart is breaking for of love for you.

I have written you a letter, and enclosed with it my ring,
If your people should see it, then the trouble will begin.

Oh girl, come back to me, my heart is breaking for of love for you.

My poor pen is broken, my paper is spent,
But my love for you endures, and remains forever more.

Oh my beloved, come back to me, my heart is breaking for of love for you.

The sun's hot sheen, won't scorch my love,
Being kept evergreen, by the falling of my tears.

Oh girl, Come back to me, I could die of love for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment